Sridevi cremated with state honours: 10 things that happened at the actress’ funeral
After 50 years of stardom, India’s female superstar Sridevi was bid adieu among sea of mourning fans, family and the film industry. Ever since the news of her demise broke on Saturday night, every one has been glued to the television sets to catch the last glimpse of Bollywood’s beloved Chandni. The 54 year old actress who passed away on Saturday night in Dubai was cremated on Wednesday afternoon in Mumbai.
1. After prayer meet in the morning at Mumbai’s Celebration sports club, Sridevi’s last rites were performed at Vile Parle Crematorium.
2. It took 1 hour 40 minutes for Sridevi’s mortal remains to travel from her Lokhandwala residence to the Ville Parle Crematorium as thousands of mourners took to the streets of Mumbai to bid her goodbye. Sridevi’s funeral procession saw highest number of mourners, at par with Mohammed Rafi’s last journey in the year 1980 and Rajesh Khanna’s death procession in 2012.
3. Actor Arjun Kapoor requested fans with folded hands to let the funeral procession pass through as crowd crowds mobbed the vehicle carrying her mortal remains — with some climbing on trees and clambering on gates to get a better look.
4. A sombre, red-eyed Boney Kapoor stood in a corner surrounded by his family and friends from the film fraternity. Fashion designer Manish Malhotra broke down and was consoled by film-maker Karan Johar, who was also unable to control his grief. While Rani Mukerji stood near her body.
5. Maharashtra government gave full state honours for Sridevi’s funeral which included draping her body in the national tricolour and a gun salute before the cremation.
6. A priest from Tamil Nadu was called in to perform her last rites according to South Indian customs.
7. Husband Boney Kapoor performed the last rites with daughters Janhvi Kapoor and Khushi Kapoor by his side.
8. Sridevi wore her favourite Kaanchivaram saree in red and gold colour. Hema Malini took to Twitter and wrote, “She lay there, beautiful in a red saree, serene in death & totally at peace.”
9. Celebrities present at funeral: Amitabh Bachchan, Jeetendra, Vidya Balan, Shah Rukh Khan, Farhan Akhtar, Katrina Kaif, Arjun Kapoor, Anupam Kher, Arjun Rampal and so many others.
10. Sushmita Sen earlier praised the courage with which Janhvi Kapoo and Khushi Kapoor are dealing with the grief. She took to social media and wrote, ” I witnessed the #strength of Ma’am #Sridevi in the way she’s raised both her daughters, they showed immense courage, way beyond their years, as they silently & gracefully acknowledged everyone despite their own unimaginable grief. Rest in peace Ma’am knowing you excelled in all aspects of life…I celebrate you, always will!!”